bottlecap

Announcing Forever Unloved Sandy, a beer to support NJ Storm Relief

Announcing Forever Unloved Sandy, a beer to support NJ Storm Relief

For the first new beer to come out of the new brewery, we wanted to do something Jersey-centric. After the events of the superstorm we thought what better to help our state than to come up with a tasty brew with Jersey attitude and donate all proceeds (not just profit, but every darn cent) to grass-roots organizations helping rebuild in New Jersey. Hence the name Forever Unloved Sandy, which I think we all would prefer to abbreviate. For now, the beer will be draft-only, but we'll see what happens.

We'll produce approximately 100 kegs of FU Sandy, sales of which will generate up to $50,000 directly towards a charity. The recipient of the F. U. Sandy funds will be a grassroots NJ-based charitable organization dedicated to Superstorm Sandy relief and chosen by Flying Fish fans via social media. To nominate a charity, . NOTE: This not a popularity contest, so one thoughtful email will be as effective as having everyone you know on Facebook email us.  Thanks!

The beer will be available beginning in February, exclusively on draft (no bottles at this point), throughout the New Jersey and Philadelphia region.

F. U. Sandy is brewed with a 50/50 blend of Two Row Pale Malt and American White Wheat. It is hopped with experimental hop ADHA 483, donated by the American Dwarf Hop Association, which has never been used in a beer before this one. Muller and Head Brewer Casey Hughes expect a beautiful, tropical nose of mangoes and guavas that will accentuate the beer’s soft mouthfeel and contribute to a truly one-of-a-kind ale.

Comments (44)

1. Thomas Rondello:
    Dec 20, 2012 at 04:03 PM

I will personally drink this beer throughout the holiday season if its great, I will stick with it. Thank you for your thoughtfulness!

2. Gene Muller:
    Dec 20, 2012 at 04:19 PM

Thanks--we're not releasing the beer until after the holidays. Stay tuned.

3. Marie:
    Jan 07, 2013 at 03:10 PM

Can't wait! This is a great and very generous idea.

4. Todd Bender:
    Jan 10, 2013 at 05:05 PM

If possible, please keep us posted on where this will be available on draft, and if it ends up being release bottled!

5. Linda from Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps:
    Jan 11, 2013 at 03:36 PM

My blog, Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps would love to a feature on Forever Unloved Sandy. I do a weekly beer post every Monday called Malt Monday and Forever Unloved Sandy would be a great beer to profile and I'm a Jersey girl!

6. Thomas Hampel :
    Jan 13, 2013 at 04:09 PM

Will you be sending an email news letter on the type of beer and when and where it may possibly be released? And you should definitely bottle it and hold a contest for fans to create the artwork!

7. Thomas Hampel :
    Jan 13, 2013 at 04:09 PM

8. Gene Muller:
    Jan 14, 2013 at 01:17 PM

Stay tuned for a news update in the next few days.

9. Tom Gagliardi:
    Jan 17, 2013 at 05:58 PM

Will there be FU Sandy t-shirts available like the one logo above? I so want it.

10. Gene Muller:
    Jan 18, 2013 at 09:27 AM

We're workin on it. Stay tuned.

11. Jeff:
    Jan 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Will FU Sandy kegs be available to retail customers through distributors, or only to restaurants and bars?
    If it will be available through distributors, will be available as sixtels or quarter barrels, or only as half-barrel kegs?

12. Gene Muller:
    Jan 18, 2013 at 05:37 PM

Hi Jeff
    If for some reason we don't sell them all to retailers, we could offer to consumers. The only problem is that each 1/2 keg is $500, but your friends will be thrilled you purchased!

13. Stephen Mansfield:
    Jan 18, 2013 at 09:31 PM

I’d like to nominate “Jersey Rising” - http://www.facebook.com/groups/jerseyrising/?fref=ts
    They are good hardworking people trying to care for their neighbor.

14. Kimberly Iungerman:
    Jan 19, 2013 at 09:30 AM

if you do offer to private persons please share--even at that cost--My friends can take a collection and have a sandy party...

15. Paul D. lee:
    Jan 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I belong to the Friendly Sons Of The Shillelagh of the Jersey Shore, we are located in Belmar N.J., one of the hardest hit areas along the shore in Monmouth County. This is a Irish mens social group who have been instramental in providing relief throughout the storm and continue to do so. We as a group have donated $10,000 to The Belmar Relief fund, $5,000 to the Lake Como relief fund. We set up and had a fundraiser at Bar A in Lake Como that resulted in bringing in around $50,000 to the Foundation end of our group (501 C 3) and have distributed most of that money already to families affected during Superstorm Sandy. We are currently applying to the state for another raffle license to raise more money for local families. If you donate your beer to our clubhouse we could use it to raise additional money to pass out. A portion of every chilly one we sell will go directly into the foundation labled Save Our Shore (the name we gave our fundraiser and efforts post Sandy). Please allow me to also ask for some beer for Bar A in Lake Como as they were the place to go for food (free) and a warm place to hang out during the aftermath of the storm, without Bar A and the entire staff giving of their time and cooking food and helping during this time we as a community would have had a much harder time dealing with the day to day task of getting everyone a place to call home for now until other arraingments can be made. Be well and thank you, in the name of charity lets all stand up and say F U SANDY!

16. Cheryl Moore:
    Jan 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Great idea!- Love it!- good cause!~ although we lost most of our home in the flood (LBI area) and have no idea where all the relief money actually goes~ but it is a good idea!! * the area is devastated! * we may not be able to live in our little house by the summer, but we will definitely serve FUSandy beer at our backyard bar "the FlounderInn" while we rebuild!!- best of luck raising lots of funds with FU Sandy~ it sure does capture our sentiments exactly!!

17. Gene Muller:
    Jan 19, 2013 at 03:53 PM

Hi Paul

Great work you guys are doing! We're donating all the kegs for FU Sandy and as a small company that's a pretty big deal for us so we have to take a pass on other donations for the time being. Keep up the effort.

18. Scott Marriott:
    Jan 20, 2013 at 06:42 PM

Wish you would add a t-shirt for this one. I'm sure I could get everyone in my family one for Christmas (except for my mother, Sandy...) My father would be the first one to wear his.

19. Joan:
    Jan 21, 2013 at 04:04 PM

Your instructions are a bit conflicted. In one sentence you state the recipient will be chosen by Flying Fish fans via social media. The next sentence says a thoughtful email can do it. Hmmmm??? Please clarify how the charity selected?

20. Gene Muller:
    Jan 21, 2013 at 04:18 PM

Sorry if we weren't clear. We're looking for suggestions for great local charities, we're not looking to run a popularity contest where the most votes win.
    Cheers

21. Heather Friel:
    Jan 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Please be sure to let us all know when and where this will be on tap! What a great idea!

22. marj:
    Jan 23, 2013 at 03:00 PM

Great Plan.. Will turn my husband onto this of course

23. Judy Bisig:
    Jan 24, 2013 at 04:20 PM

Do you think this beer will be coming out in bottles? We live near Pittsburgh and head to Ocean City, NJ every Sept. We have friends there and would love to be able to bring back beer to Pittsburgh from our beloved Ocean City and to continue to help the people affected by Sandy.

24. Gene Muller:
    Jan 24, 2013 at 04:39 PM

Right now the beer is keg only. We don't have any plans to bottle, but maybe down the road. Cheers

25. Danielle:
    Jan 29, 2013 at 01:31 PM

Where can I but a pint? I live in Philly and was hoping to get a list of establishments that will have a keg!

26. Gene Muller:
    Jan 29, 2013 at 02:22 PM

We will begin shipping beer next week and hope to have a tapping event the weekend of Feb. 16-17. We'll post all locations on our web site.

27. Ron Fisher:
    Feb 04, 2013 at 09:13 AM

Is there any chance of a t-shirt or hat with the logo? Please! :)

28. Anthony Cerullo:
    Feb 11, 2013 at 02:28 PM

As a survivor of the jersey shore Im going to get FU Sandy as soon as my bar gets it. I am calling them everyday. Thanks for posting dates and locations. Please notify me when I can get a case of bottles and seven t shirts.
    Great Job,
    Anthony

29. Taylor Sodaski:
    Feb 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Just tapped it and had a pint at Mexican Food Factory. Very impressive, can't beat drinking great beer for a cause. Keep up the good work.

30. Dan Soboti:
    Feb 14, 2013 at 01:45 PM

I see that it is 50/50 pale & wheat malts and uses an experimental hop. Any other details like IBU's, ABV, kind of yeast? Is this suppose to be like a hefe weizen or is it an IPA?

Thanks & looking forward to it.

31. Gene Muller:
    Feb 14, 2013 at 01:57 PM

Hey Dan
    We're calling it a summer beer for winter. It's not an IPA, more like a pale wheat ale. 6.2% abv.
    Cheers

32. Kathy:
    Feb 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I wanted to make up a Tricky Tray basket. I see T-shirts and glasses will be available soon. Will the beer be available in bottles? I wanted to use some of your items along with other shore related certificates. I would really love to have a 6 pack in my basket too.
    Kathy

33. Dan Soboti:
    Feb 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Gene,
    Got it tapped this morning. Very tasty. Great Job!

34. JerseyRay:
    May 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I commend you and the organization. We will all be looking for the list of places where it can be purchased in Southern New Jersey.

35. Chris Q:
    Jul 26, 2013 at 06:08 PM

You Have A Winner Here...Make This Available Year Round

36. RyanTheExit98er:
    Aug 01, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Just purchased two bottles of the FU Sandy beer. One bottle to drink, and the other to hold as a keepsake. The beer itself is outstanding. The aroma/bouquet initially given off by the beer appears to be intense/harsh (like Sandy). I have never heard of the hops used in this beer, ADHA 483. I think its fair to say the experiment was a success. The initial burst of flavor and easy finish is unreal. There is definitely some symbolism in the flavoring/taste of this high end beer and Sandy!
    I have always loved Flying Fish brewing co. because of their quality craft beer, along with their illustration and the true representation of what the Garden State is all about. It is unreal the amount of support Flying Fish has given to the State of New Jersey during times of restoration and rebuilding.
    My allegiance will always be pledged to Flying Fish Brewing Co. after creating this delicious beer to raise money for my home state. You guys are awesome, keep doing what your doing.

37. Gene Muller:
    Aug 01, 2013 at 09:18 AM

Thanks for the good words!

38. jack:
    Aug 05, 2013 at 01:09 PM

I'm in Bayville, NJ, 08721. I've tried all local liquor stores and cant find "F U SANDY", can You tell Me where, within 25 miles, I could find some.

39. Stacy Smith:
    Aug 05, 2013 at 01:19 PM

Jack,
    From what we have been hearing many places are already sold out. Spirits 11 usually sells our beer. So you may want to try them. Good Luck

Cheers!

40. Gene Muller:
    Aug 05, 2013 at 04:50 PM

According to Rick, our ace salesguy:

The following "Might" still have some left:

Lavalette Liquors
    Spirit of 76 Liquors - Manasquan
    Lacy Liquors - Lanoka Harbor
    Spirit Shoppe - Pt Pleasant
    Joe Canal's - Brick
    Lenape Buy Right - Brick
    Spirits Unlimited - Ortley Beach

41. Pat mcGarry:
    Aug 28, 2013 at 05:51 PM

I just enjoyed a bottle of f u sandy. I found it a Bottle king.

42. Stacy Smith:
    Aug 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Thank you for your support. Cheers!

43. LC:
    Oct 30, 2013 at 02:02 PM

How would someone from Illinois get their hands on one of these bottles? Any online vendors offering it for sale?

44. Gene Muller:
    Nov 02, 2013 at 08:23 PM

They're all gone. Maybe next summer.